Fast Tracking Passport Applications
Due to coronavirus disruption, it is currently taking up to six weeks to renew or replace a passport online. It can take even longer if you apply by post or if applying for a first adult passport. Their offices and the premium and fast track services are currently closed.
However, you may be able to get a passport urgently to travel for compassionate reasons or work, or to prove your identity. For example, if you are applying for a job, mortgage or benefits.
Compassionate reasons to travel include:
- you or someone you care for needs urgent medical treatment in another country
- a family member or friend in another country is seriously ill or has died
Valid reasons for urgent travel to another country could apply if, for example, you work:
- for an airline or haulage company
- offshore, for example on a rig
- for government or local government and you’re doing business abroad
- in healthcare
- for social services and you need to travel with children
- for the armed forces or the police
You can pay for a faster service if you need a passport within the next 3 weeks.
You need to book a passport office appointment and pay online. You can book an appointment up to 3 weeks in advance.
If you need a passport to travel urgently for medical treatment or because a friend or family member is seriously ill or has died,
Check current coronavirus (COVID-19) travel advice before travelling. If your passport application is successful, it does not mean you’re currently allowed to travel.